Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Not a Harlequin Romance Novel

My life is certainly no romance novel. I am a 36-year old mother of two, and I'm divorced...well, almost. It's been a process. 18 months, so far. My marriage was a disaster, and the addiction, adultery, and general absurdity that led to it were painful; but in the process, I seem to have found a way to make light of it all. In fact, my life isn't all that different from yours. I come from a divorced - but very loving - family, have a college education, am a responsible (though somewhat bitter) taxpaying citizen, and I watch crap on TV...often!

Don't get me wrong; it isn't always sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes, my days feel really dark and I feel like I have to dig out of Alcatraz in order to see some light, but it's always there. Sometimes the light finds me. So long as there is something to giggle about, however insignificant or immature, I am reassured that all will be ok.

I don't intend to be inspirational or motivational (in the traditional sense) by writing this blog. I just want others to squash the old assumption that we either have the fairy tale or we don't. Instead, I think we need to work on our definitions a bit. If life is feeling a little heavy, make light of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment